Millersville tops Shepard 75-71

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. – For the third time in the last three regular season meetings between Millersville and Shepherd, the game was decided on the final possession. On Wednesday night in Pucillo Gymnasium, Millersville hit its free throws down the stretch to hold off the visiting Rams, 75-71 for a PSAC East victory.

Millersville (9-3, 3-3 PSAC East) made a season-high 12 3-pointers on 29 attempts, and its eight threes in the first half helped the Marauders to an early lead, but it was its free throw shooting in the final 10 minutes that truly made the difference. The Marauders went 0-for-9 from the field in the final 10 minutes but sank 17-of-20 foul shots to keep hold of its lead. Millersville trailed for a grand total of just 35 seconds, led by as many as 14 points in the first half and as few as one point, 71-70, with 30 seconds to play.

Khari Williams scored a game-high 22 points, sinking 5-of-10 3-pointers and 5-of-7 free throws. James Sullivan scored 16, hitting 4-of-6 threes before fouling out after 24 minutes. Ryan Davis finished with 11 points, making 7-of-8 crucial free throws in the game’s final 10 minutes.

• Justin Nwosu, whose 12 points gave him double-figures in four consecutive games, jump-started the Marauders early, scoring the team’s first seven points. A Williams 3-pointer with 5:30 left in the first half gave the Marauders their biggest lead of the game at 38-24, but Shepherd closed the half on a 9-2 run that made the score 40-35 at the break. Williams and Sullivan both led the Marauders with 11 points in the first 20 minutes.
• Millersville quickly extended its lead back to double-figures at 50-39 with 16:16 to go, but in fewer than five minutes, Shepherd sank 5-of-6 shots and slashed the deficit down to 55-51. Despite not converting its field goal attempts, Millersville kept its lead at least two possessions until 1:08 to go when Shepherd’s Jerrod Robinson sank a 3-pointer to make it a 69-67 game. On Millersville’s next possession, Khari Williams was fouled on a 3-pointer attempt from the top of the key, and he made 2-of-3 to extend the lead to four. Those free throws proved key. Shepherd’s Kyle Daggett drilled a 3-pointer off a pick-and-roll play 11 seconds later to bring Shepherd within one. Williams was fouled on the in-bounds pass and sank both free throws. With time winding down, Millersville elected to foul rather than let Shepherd attempt a game-tying 3-pointer. Cam Stephens made the first and intentionally missed the second. Davis grabbed the rebound for Millersville and iced the win by making both free throws.


Print Friendly Version